Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Benihana Chef - Full-Time
at Benihana Restaurants
- # of Openings
- Store #
- Doing Business As
- Benihana Coral Springs
- Business Unit
- Benihana Coral Springs Corp.
- Position Type
Responsible for engaging, entertaining, interacting and providing a unique dining experience to guests. Primarily works in front of restaurant while cooking and preparing hot meals on hibachi tables directly in front of guests. Ensures correct food portions are being cooked and maintains the kitchen areas and hibachi tables clean and sanitized. Prepares and sets up food for cooking and side orders.
In In accordance with Benihana’s service and cooking procedures:
- Greets and welcomes guests within 15 minutes of their Teppan order(s).
- Performs a cooking show for assigned tables ensuring his/her interaction with guests is appropriate and non-offensive
- Readily provides guests with information about Benihana foods as they are being cooked or upon guest inquiries
- Responds promptly and courteously to guest requests
- Asks guests for cooking preference, as applicable, and follows guest instructions
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking using a variety of kitchen equipment (including but not limited to broilers, ovens, grills, food processors, blenders and fryers)
- Performs shift opening and closing duties as assigned by the manager such as cleaning of refrigeration units, gaskets, chef carts and floors
- Maintains kitchen, Teppan cooking areas, kitchen equipment and food storage areas clean, sanitary and organized. Reports any kitchen equipment or maintenance issues to the chief chef or manager on duty (MOD)
- Is knowledgeable about and complies with the Company’s standards on food portioning, cooking methods, quality standards, recipes, storyboards, service cycle, policies and procedures
- Prepares foods in accordance with the Company’s portions standards and recipe specifications prior to cooking, including battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating foods
- Adheres to the Company’s guidelines on proper food presentation and garnishes for all dishes. Handles, stores, labels, and rotates foods properly and in accordance with public health safety, state and local laws. Understands and follows FIFO method for food handling
- Uses knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, julienne, whip, beat, maintain holding temperature, chill, freeze or otherwise produce food for the dining room
- Adheres to Company guidelines on alcoholic beverage service
- Presents a clean and neat appearance and uses a courteous manner with all guests
- Immediately notifies MOD when guests are not satisfied with their experience or if an accident occurs
- Participates and joins restaurant staff in ensuring guest special occasion celebrations are memorable. Upon request or at the direction of the company, may be asked to photograph and/or be photographed with guests
- Performs other duties as assigned by a supervisor
- Must be able to successfully pass Benihana chef training program
- Previous experience as chef or cook highly desirable
Competencies, Knowledge and Skills:
Customer Service: Must possess excellent customer service skills. Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism when interacting with guests and dealing with guest complaints. Ability to monitor and anticipate guests’ needs and respond accordingly in an effort to maintain a positive and enjoyable Benihana dining experience. Ability to entertain and perform in front of guests is strongly desired.
Communication: Must possess excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate and understand guests’ and colleagues’ instructions, read and understand written directives, and be able to clearly communicate if s/he requires further direction. Must be able to interpret nonverbal cues in an effort to identify and correct potential problems. Must be able to clearly speak in English.
Interpersonal Relationships: Ability to adapt and interact with a diverse group of people. Ability to maintain a professional and courteous demeanor during stressful and/or busy times. Must be able to work as part of a team and recognize the importance of each team member’s role in the guest dining experience.
Physical Demands: Must be able to perform a variety of physical activities including, but not limited to, standing for long periods of time, climbing, walking, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 55 lbs. Ability to carry and lift cookware (pots, pans, etc.) containing hot or cool foods and liquids. Must possess the manual dexterity to use cooking tools properly and while performing cooking shows. Must be able to handle smoke and heat from grill.
Food Knowledge, Preparation, Production and Safety: Ability to prepare food for consumption with background knowledge of proper techniques and equipment to be used. Must be able to clearly explain how food is prepared, cooked, and served to guests. Knowledge of industry standards on food storage and handling techniques is highly desirable. Knowledge of sushi and beverages is a plus. Where applicable, holds a state and/or local food handlers card.
Problem Solving and Conflict Management: Must exercise
sound judgment and possess good problem solving skills. Must have the ability to recognize and resolve problems in an appropriate manner.
Shift Flexibility: Must be able to work different shifts, include holidays, nights and weekends. Must be able to work overtime as required.
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network! Text "Benihana" to 51893.