City of Delray Beach, Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Delray Beach, Florida
Pay: $24.02 to $37.23/hour
$24.02 - $37.23
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2390070
Overall Job Objective
- Job Description
- **Salary can be commensurate with qualifications and experience**
Veterans' Preference Applies
EEO StatementThe City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability, marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of servicesNon-Smoking
The City of Delray Beach is a Non-Tobacco Workplace. The City will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine products for a period of at least three months prior to application for employment. The definition of "tobacco or nicotine products" includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or gum.
This is technical work conducting building inspections to ensure buildings and structures are constructed and tested in compliance with existing City codes, ordinances and statutes. Work is performed under general supervision of the Building and Inspection Administrator.
- Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Conduct site visits to make building inspections to ensure compliance with City building codes and regulations.
- Record and document all building inspections and prepare inspection reports.
- Maintain current knowledge of building and housing codes, ordinances, regulations and compliances.
- Provide information and assistance to the public, contractors, or other employees.
- Keep superiors apprised of all building inspection activities.
- Perform all functions and responsibilities with integrity and professionalism according to the City's Code of Ethics, Palm Beach County Code of Ethics, and Florida State Statutes.
- Fosters positive employee relations and employee morale on a City-wide basis.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school graduation or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
- Five (5) years professional, verifiable experience in construction, design or inspections of buildings as supervisor or contractor.
- Must possess an active State of Florida Standard Inspector Certification under the provisions of Chapter 468 F.S. required.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License, with a good driving record.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal codes, housing codes, enforcement and inspection techniques.
- Knowledge of the City's policies, procedures, and practices. Skill in policy interpretation and application.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize trade equipment, personal computer and office software such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Ability to enter and retrieve data accurately using the City's mainframe system or other required application.
- Ability to work independently and to adhere to established policies and procedures. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the general public. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Ability to manage and prioritize routine, specialized and complex assignments and problems utilizing knowledge acquired through prior education, training, and experience.
- Ability to adapt to an evolving and continually improving environment. Punctuality and regular attendance are essential functions of this position.
The abilities expected of all employees include being able to respond to supervision, guidance and direction of superiors in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies, be appropriately groomed and attired so as to present a professional image in accordance with the organization's mission, goals, and policies; report for work promptly and properly prepared at the time and place required by the assignment or orders; notify the appropriate supervisor of intended absences in accordance with stated rules; conform with standards and rules regarding use of accrued time; demonstrate a polite, helpful and courteous manner when engaged in any activity with the public; operate and care for equipment to manufacturer's specifications and/or within the specified parameters; demonstrate an understanding, consideration, and respect of cultural, religious, and gender differences when interacting with the public and colleagues.
A comparable combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position, may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Supplemental Information
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with both hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stand, bend, crawl, kneel, bend, balance, stoop and drive. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color and depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Works inside and out-of-doors in various weather conditions with noise, slippery surfaces, uneven surfaces and at heights (up to 50 ft). Works in some stressful situations.
SELECTION GUIDELINES: Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement with the employer, and requirements of the job change.