City of Hollywood (FL)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Air Conditioning / Refrigeration Mechanic
at City of Hollywood (FL)
- The Position
Starting Salary For This Position Up To $30.00 Per Hour Based Upon Experience
This is journey-level mechanical work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of air conditioning equipment and energy management control system. An incumbent in this class is responsible for installing, performing skilled repairs, and providing preventative maintenance on light and heavy duty air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating and ventilation equipment, ice machines and water coolers. Work includes installing equipment in accordance with specifications, making necessary adjustments for effectiveness and energy conservation, and dynamic testing. Functional supervision may be exercised over unskilled and semi-skilled employees engaged in assisting in installation and repair of equipment. General supervision is provided by a superior who reviews orders, work in progress and upon completion.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Installs cooling, heating and refrigerating systems and components according to blueprints and specifications; assembles and connects internal piping and external drainage lines; installs and checks electronic and mechanical operation and temperature controls.
- Lubricates machinery and recharges systems with refrigerant; inspects for refrigerant leaks and faulty components; effects repairs; replaces parts.
- Operates equipment; adjusts temperature sensing devices; modifies air intake and output for desired effect.
- Prepares and maintains work records and reports as required by E.P.A.; estimates labor and material requirements; maintains inventory records.
- Coordinates repairs and maintenance activities between the City and contract maintenance vendors.
- Maintains tools and equipment.
- Provides supervision to unskilled and semi-skilled employees assisting in installation of equipment.
- Must effectively and positively represent the City in delivering and performing work with colleagues and clients, irrespective of gender, race, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, or sexual orientation.
- Must maintain effective and professional relationships with work colleagues, supervisors and managers.
- Performs related work as required for this position description only.
- The Requirements
High School Diploma or GED equivalent; four (4) years of experience in air conditioning maintenance and repair; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Must be a State or Broward County Certified Air-Conditioning Journeyman or Contractor. Possess an EPA Universal Refrigerant License
Additional education and experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- State or Broward County Certified Air Conditioning Journeyman or Contractor
- EPA Universal Refrigerant License
- Valid Driver's License: With proof of automobile insurance
- Background Check: Must have an acceptable background record
- Driving Abstract: Must have an acceptable driving record
NOTE: Applicants are encouraged to attach a copy of the required certification and licenses with their on-line application.
- The Examination
Required Education and Background Information: Look over the announcement carefully to determine your eligibility. Please note minimum education and experience requirements. Closed competitive positions are open only to employees while open competitive positions are open to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications for the position. Evidence of a GED test score is required if submitted for high school diploma. Applicants are responsible for clearly documenting work experience and/or providing all relevant information at the time of application. Additional information will not be accepted after the announcement closing date.
Examination: Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: written examination, performance examination, education and experience evaluation, oral examination and/or other job related examinations.
You will be notified of the time and place of your examination when you file or later by mail. A passing grade is required on each part of the process. Repeated participation in any examination for which the same test is used is limited to once every 6 months. Your examination results will be sent by email as soon as possible after the grading is completed.
Final passing grades are used to determine a candidate's position on the eligibility list of successful candidates. Departments fill vacancies from this list. The top three names are considered for each vacancy unless otherwise modified. Those not appointed are returned to the eligibility list for further consideration in accordance with the Civil Service Ordinance. Your name will remain on a register for one year for open competitive examinations and two years for closed competitive except where labor contract conflicts.
Your name may be removed from an eligibility list prior to one year according to Hollywood's Civil Service Ordinance or labor contracts. Your eligibility may be canceled if you refuse a position or if you are not available for work. You are responsible for notifying the Employment Office, in writing, of any change in your address or telephone number.
Special Accommodation and Communication Needs: The City of Hollywood provides necessary reasonable accommodation in the examination process upon request to persons with disabilities. Such requests must be made PRIOR to any scheduled examination.
Veteran's Preference: An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers (DD214) and meet eligibility requirements as stipulated by the Florida Statutes.
- Additional Information
All successful applicants will be required to pass an extensive background which may include criminal history searches, driving history checks, credit report, courthouse searches, education verification, employment verification, professional license verification, or other search methods as deemed necessary for the position. In addition, the applicant will be required to undergo a medical examination, which may include a drug screening, prior to appointment.
EMPLOYMENT OF RELATIVES: The City of Hollywood has an Ordinance which regulates the employment of relatives of City employees. Effective January 28, 2008, a relative may only be hired under the following additional conditions:
- The relative must have competed in an appropriate examination process as determined by Human Resources and be placed on a civil service eligibility list;
- The relative must be among the top three ranked candidates available on the certified eligibility list unless expanded by the Civil Service Board;
- The Department or Office Director and the Director, Human Resources must demonstrate that it is in the best interests of the City of Hollywood to hire the relative of a public officer or employee.
As of 12/15/2005 the City will require all newly hired employees to sign an affidavit affirming non-usage of tobacco or tobacco products within the last year prior to submission of application and will continue to be a non-user of tobacco products throughout employment with the City of Hollywood.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The Employment Office will make reasonable efforts in the examination and workplace to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources of special needs by calling (954) 921-3216.
All applicants receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, abilities, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression (except as limited by law, Personnel Rules, Collective Bargaining Agreements, or bona fide occupational disqualifications).
The City of Hollywood is an Equal Opportunity / Equal Access Employer.