City of Hollywood (FL)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Pool Lifeguard - Summer Camp Program Only
at City of Hollywood (FL)
- The Position
This is a skilled position with more than average difficulty in lifeguarding and assisting with swim instruction at a municipal pool. An employee in this class is responsible for the supervision of swimming and a variety of recreational activities at a municipal pool. This includes efficient and safe operation of a municipal swimming pool for the convenience, enjoyment and safety of patrons. Assists with the supervision of pool patrons and responsible for maintaining of pool deck, restrooms, changing rooms and surrounding area.
1. Safeguards and regulates the conduct of patrons to prevent unsafe practices and accidents; administers first aid or C.P.R. as needed.
2. Regulates the prompt performance of emergency lifesaving and rescue techniques.
3. Assists with the planning and implementation of aquatic programs, swim meets, pool games, etc.
4. Maintains pool deck, dressing rooms, restrooms, office and other physical areas of the facility.
5. Maintains physical condition by training, including rescue procedure drills, running, swimming, paddling and other necessary conditioning and rescue exercises.
6. Must effectively and positively represent the City in delivering and performing work with colleagues and clients, irrespective of gender, race, religion, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, or sexual orientation.
7. Must establish and maintain effective and professional relationships with work colleagues, supervisors and managers.
8. Performs related work as required for this position description only.
- The Requirements
High School Diploma or GED equivalent, plus six (6) months experience as a lifeguard.
One (1) year experience in the field as a lifeguard.
Additional education and experience or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be substituted for the above requirements.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Certifications: American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certificate, Red Cross First Aid and Red Cross C.P.R. Certificate
NOTE: Please visit the American Red Cross to obtain information on the next available training classes in your area to obtain the required certifications for the Pool Lifeguard position. You may view this information by clicking on the following link: http://www.redcross.org/ux/take-a-class.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE POOL LIFEGUARD POSITION.
(1) The Summer Camp Program under the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Department with the City of Hollywood is anticipated to begin Monday, June 8, 2020 until August 9, 2020. The Orientation date for this Summer Camp Program will be announced at a later time. Please consider your availability during these dates when submitting an on-line application for this Pool Lifeguard position.
(2) The work schedule for this position will involve working 30-40 hours per week for approximately 9 weeks. Hours may vary between 7:00AM - 9:00PM. Please consider your availability during these hours when submitting an on-line application for this Pool Lifeguard position.
- The Examination
Required Education and Background Information: Look over the announcement carefully to determine your eligibility. Please note minimum education and experience requirements. Closed competitive positions are open only to employees while open competitive positions are open to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications for the position. Evidence of a GED test score is required if submitted for high school diploma. Applicants are responsible for clearly documenting work experience and/or providing all relevant information at the time of application. Additional information will not be accepted after the announcement closing date.
Veteran's Preference: An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers (DD214) and meet eligibility requirements as stipulated by the Florida Statutes.
- Additional Information
All successful applicants will be required to pass an extensive background, which may include criminal history searches, driving history checks, credit report, courthouse searches, education verification, employment verification, professional license verification, or other search methods as deemed necessary for the position. In addition, the applicant will be required to undergo a medical examination, which may include a drug screening, prior to appointment.
Applicants who are considered for employment will be required to pay $62.00 for the background investigation.Employment of Relatives: The City of Hollywood has an Ordinance which regulates the employment of relatives of City employees. Effective January 28, 2008, a relative may only be hired under the following additional conditions.
- The relative must have competed in an appropriate examination process as determined by Human Resources and be placed on a civil service eligibility list;
- The relative must be among the top three ranked candidates available on the certified eligibility list unless expanded by the Civil Service Board;
- The Department or Office Director and the Director, Human Resources must demonstrate that it is in the best interests of the City of Hollywood to hire the relative of a public officer or employee.
Tobacco Affidavit: As of 12/15/2005 the City will require all newly hired employees to sign an affidavit affirming non-usage of tobacco or tobacco products within the last year prior to submission of application and will continue to be a non-user of tobacco products throughout employment with the City of Hollywood.
Reasonable Accommodation: The Employment Office will make reasonable efforts in the examination and workplace to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources of special needs by calling (954) 921-3216.
The City of Hollywood is an Equal Opportunity / Equal Access Employer.