St. Lucie County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Heavy Equipment Operator II - 131571
at St. Lucie County
- Job Summary
MAJOR FUNCTION: Skilled work in the operation of heavy equipment on a daily basis and some complex construction equipment. Duties also include the performance of manual laboring tasks.
- Essential Job Functions
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operation of all equipment associated with an Equipment Operator and Heavy Equipment Operator I positions plus being able to operate a Gradall, Menzi Muck, track hoe, vac-truck, off road dump truck and other equipment as required by the Road & Bridge Manager or his/her designee.
- Must be able to perform manual labor tasks such as frequent shoveling, raking and loading materials by hand.
- Adheres to operational procedures within the division.
- Keeps supervisor informed of all potential safety or operational problems.
- Must be able to maintain accurate inventory, diaries, maintenance logs and records.
- Performs related work as requested or assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS NEEDED TO PERFORM THE ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
- Must have good knowledge of the operating characteristics, safety practices and techniques of heavy equipment.
- Must be skilled in the operational requirements of heavy equipment including recommended procedures for daily inspecting and cleaning of the equipment.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and other regulations governing the operation of equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions in order to maintain the equipment in compliance with service manuals and operational policies and implement procedures in accordance with service manuals and operational policies.
- Ability to carry out assigned tasks with verbal instructions.
- Ability to perform all activities without constant supervision.
- Ability to work extended hours and weekend if required.
- Ability to work constantly outside under adverse weather conditions of cold, heat, humidity and rain.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the public.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining a team environment with fellow employees.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Constant walking, standing, use of both hands, fingers and legs for extended periods.
- Very frequent lifting of 30 lbs. or less.
- Frequent heavy lifting of 50 lbs. or more.
- Very frequent lifting of 30 lbs. or less reaching above shoulders, kneeling, bending and squatting.
- Must have full dexterity in both hands and feet.
- Good vision and hearing with or without correction.
- Individual must be able to work safely at heights up to 60' above ground.
- Driving in heavy traffic, in all types of weather conditions.
- Working in public areas under an environment of pedestrian and vehicular traffic while in close proximity of other workers.
- General occupational hazard of being around heavy equipment on a daily basis.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT USED OR NEEDED: Work shoes, work gloves, shield cap, safety vest, safety glasses, hard hats and back support belts. Vehicular seat belts to be used at all times.
EDUCATION: Graduation from high school or trade school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.
EXPERIENCE: Four (4) years' experience in the operation and routine maintenance of heavy equipment. Final decision of appointment to this job will be based on the applicant's ability to physically operate, drive and perform the manual labor tasks described herein. A comparable amount of training or experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
LICENSE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION:
- Must have a minimum of a valid Florida CDL Class A Driver's License with a tanker endorsement as condition of employment.
- Must maintain a good driving record.
- Additional Information
Pay Grade U13
Driving Position – Operating County vehicles and/or equipment is a primary function of this position.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT SCREENING: This position requires a physical, drug testing, driver's license verification and level 1 background screening.