Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Customer Risk Specialist II or III
Primary Location2500 Weston (FL03) - FL204
Conducts Customer Due Diligence (CDD) and Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) for depository and credit customers that may present a higher tier of risk to the Bank. Assesses customers for BSA/AML (Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering) risk and assigns risk ratings. Utilizes a variety of resources and tools to develop a base of information from which to draw inferences and conclusions in the evaluation of risk identification, measurement, monitoring and control systems within the Bank. Performs Customer Risk Periodic Reviews. Is capable of conducting Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) filing recommendations as well as drafting SAR narratives. Prepares key points to be presented to the CRU Manager pertaining to customers that pose high risk factors to the Bank and/or are to be considered for closure. Assists in minimizing and assessing BSA/AML risks to the Bank by executing customer risk procedures to mitigate unreasonable risks and potential losses to the Bank.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs Customer Due Diligence (CDD) and Enhanced Due Diligence (EDD) on current, new and/or potential customers that may present a higher tier of risk to the bank. Performs Customer Risk Periodic Reviews (i.e. High Profile and Special Risk reviews) including international and complex relationships.
- Prepares and adequately supports recommendations to escalate potential unusual activity. Capable of completing full investigations including SAR recommendations, and drafting SAR narratives to report activity deemed unusual. Provides guidance and respond to daily inquiries from peers, front-line and management regarding Know Your Customer (KYC) and Customer Identification Program (CIP) due diligence matters and case analysis, when appropriate.
- Assists as needed in conducting new account reviews, 180-day new account risk assessments as well as any additional relationships referred that may or may not meet the High Risk/High Profile Customer criteria (e.g. reviews of Foreign PEPs, MSB Agents, ATM Owners, NGOs).
- Applies research and risk methodology to assess customers for BSA risk and recommends risk rating assignments. Retrieves and reviews financial transactions to identify activity commensurate with customer relationships that pose a higher financial risk exposure to the bank with emphasis on money laundering or terrorist financing.
- Identifies customer records that require further review and takes action to obtain and follow-up on attaining the information and/or documentation requested. Interacts with line-of-business contacts to understand client behavior and communicate activity of interest and/or concern and recommend CIP updates, as necessary.
- Applies knowledge of risks, patterns and trends related to money laundering and terrorist financing that may pose a higher risk to the bank when conducting new inherently high risk account reviews as well as initial and/or periodic risk assessments. Notifies management about adverse media findings and/or account relationships that may pose financial and/or reputational risk factors to the Bank. Prepares and adequately supports recommendations to escalate potential unusual activity and/or recommendations for closure of accounts.
- Assists management with preparation, research and response during audit and examinations. Assists management with other activities such as project implementation, management reporting, and other special projects that are system related or involve special reviews. Identifies and recommends possible enhancements to department processes and procedures.
- Attends BSA/AML training seminars as assigned. Operates in full compliance with internal policies and procedures as well as applicable regulations and laws, including Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering requirements.
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Certified Anti Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- Financial services/banking industry experience
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of related banking with emphasis on BSA Compliance and enhanced due diligence in accordance with KYC, CIP, and AML/BSA guidelines.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proficient knowledge of Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret Federal and State Banking Regulations
- Proficiency using applicable programs, systems, and databases
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to write reports and business correspondence
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office software products