The City of Boca Raton
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
College Student Intern - Human Resources
at The City of Boca Raton
- Job Description
- Carefully read the College Student Internship Program Guide
- Select an available Department Internship for which you would like to apply and click on the link below to access the Department Internship Description.
- Carefully read the Department Internship Description requirements.
- To Apply for available positions: Click on the "View Job Posting" link at the top right corner of this position description. Next click the position title you are interested in, and then click on the "Apply" link at the top right corner of the posting. This process will take you to the Online Employment Application.
- To be considered for a College Student Internship, the following documents are required and must be uploaded to the City of Boca Raton's online employment application:
- 500-Word Essay - "Why I Want to Intern at the City of Boca Raton"
- Unofficial transcript from school currently attending.
- Departments may have separate requirements in lieu of or in addition to the requirements listed above and contained in the Program Guide. Carefully read all requirements necessary for application under the individual Department Internship Description in which application is being made.
I. DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION:
Human Resources is designed to maximize employee performance in service of the City's strategic objectives and devoted to providing long-term strategies for growth and development through effective policies and efficient procedures. Areas of oversight include, but are not limited to, employee recruitment and retention, motivation and employee relations, assignment selection, compensation and classification, organizational development, position descriptions, employment and labor law compliance, performance reviews, training, professional development, mediation, and change management. In conjunction with other city departments, human resources is responsible for developing, implementing and/or overseeing policies governing employee behavior and the behavior of the City toward its employees.
In addition to the minimum eligibility set forth in APPENDIX A of the Program Guide, candidates seeking to be considered for an Internship in Human Resources must meet or comply with the following requirements:
1. Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university.
2. Have obtained and maintained a minimum 3.0 GPA.
3. Have the ability to work a minimum of 12 hours per week not to exceed a maximum of 25 hours per week. Hours are flexible and will be scheduled Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
4. A desire to pursue a career in Human Resources.
The candidate must be of good moral character, have good communication skills, strong work ethic, be able to follow written and verbal directions, and be able to establish and maintain good working relationships with others. In addition, the candidate must have the ability to:
1. Be detail orientated, with problem solving and analytical skills.
2. Prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously.
3. Express technical ideas, both verbally and in writing.
4. Show proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
5. Conduct detailed research and analyze the results.
IV. PROGRAM TERM:
Minimum term – one (1) school semester or summer break.
V. AVAILABLE POSITION(S):
Customarily, the Department hosts one (1) Intern at any given time. However, multiple Interns may be approved at the discretion of the Director of Human Resources.
HR College Intern – Within Human Resources, daily functions and tasks of this position may include but are not limited to: assisting with the orientation process; assisting with recruitment and on boarding procedures; special HR projects; filing, scanning, typing and review of reports; answering phone calls and routing appropriately; other duties and tasks as assigned: and, a willingness to learn and participate in the daily operations of human resources.
Candidates selected for an Internship will be expected to comply with all City and Department rules and regulations. In addition, candidates will be expected to:
1. Complete the required amount of hours in accordance with the college/university requirement.
2. While working, wear proper attire in accordance with the City of Boca Raton's Dress Code Policy.
3. Conduct him/herself in a professional manner at all times.
4. Maintain the confidentiality of any information obtained through the Internship Program.
5. Develop goals and objectives with the Department Internship Coordinator.
6. Clock in and out each day and manage schedule with assigned Division Internship Coordinator.
7. Ensure that all required documentation required by the college or university is supplied to the Department Internship Coordinator and completed prior to required deadlines, if applicable.
8. Seek direction from others in the Department before proceeding with any unassigned activities or communications with the public.
9. Refrain from all communication with any media source unless approved by the Director.
POST-OFFER BACKGROUND REQUIREMENTS:
The background check process for this position may include:
- Criminal Background Check
- Employment Verification
- Reference Checks
- Educational Verification