The Fresh Market
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Produce Department Manager
at The Fresh Market
- Requisition ID
- # of Openings
- Talent Areas
- Produce Department
- Postal Code
- Position Type
Produce Managers are responsible for managing department inventory, pricing integrity, merchandising, labor, and other operational processes to company standards. Produce Managers will plan, order, and work with the Assistant Produce Manager and Produce Clerks with receiving, unloading, storage, and rotation of product according to the production tools and standards to maximize sales and gross profit. Also, the Produce Manager is responsible for the presentation and merchandising of produce displays. Produce Managers will ensure all new Produce associates receive proper training and tools to succeed. Produce Managers will also ensure a high level of guest engagement and satisfaction at all times by answering guest questions regarding services and products offered.
- Directs, manages, and assists all functions and activities of the Produce Department. Helps to manage labor costs through effective scheduling and reduce losses due to shrink, damage and pilferage.
- Rotation of product throughout the department on a daily basis. Ensuring all product on the sales floor meets company standards for quality and freshness.
- Assisting as needed with handling, cutting, slicing and preparing a variety of the department’s specialty produce items and fruit and veggie platters/trays throughout the day per specific guest requests and to maintain quality product levels all while ensuring outstanding guest service.
- Demonstrate the ability to be organized, to work independently and with the team to provide a great atmosphere for both guests and team members, all while maintaining the overall appearance of the department; ensuring cases are well-merchandised and properly signed.
- Managing inventory and ordering for the department; enforces and follows department practices regarding rotation, receiving, stocking and the unloading of product to ensure freshness and quality. Unloading and breaking down deliveries as needed; stocking cases and coolers with products; maintain proper product assortment, merchandising product quality on wet walls, cold cases and on the sales floor; following rotation standards when replenishing product levels.
- Assisting with the making of produce items according to TFM written recipes and processes for preparing, assembling, and mixing fresh ingredients. Preparation includes a variety of steps that may include: cutting, chopping, slicing, and mixing produce, and other food products together as indicated within TFM recipes.
- Follow and utilize the department production tools and perform other duties and assignments as directed by management.
- Monitors temperature of cases and storage areas, and reports any failures to the Store Manager. Follows maintenance and sanitation procedures established by TFM for coolers and wet walls, and reports problems to store management.
- Quality and safety duties include receiving, inspecting and storing products to ensure quality, following proper cleaning and sanitation procedures, operating equipment in a safe and focused manner while tracking date and rotation of products and completing any necessary reports. Follow all company guidelines and procedures, to include but not limited to, safety and sanitation and preparation while providing overall exceptional service to ensure a positive and lasting guest impression. Prep area cleaning includes disassembling, washing, rinsing, and sanitizing all equipment, prep-tables, pans, and utensils, and washing floors, walls, coolers, ovens, and storage racks. Adhere to all local, state, and federal health and civil code regulations.
- Observe all store rules, Company policies and handbook guidelines, shift operating hours at all times as scheduled or assigned by store management. Must wear approved hat, hair net, nonslip shoes, and/or beard guard.
- Maintains knowledge of weekly ad items; gives guests direction of product location throughout the store.
- Directly participates in on-the-job training efforts in the department. Works together with the Store Manager or Managing Partner to conduct performance reviews.
- Addressing and greeting guests; answering questions in a friendly manner, proactively offering assistance and providing accurate and timely information, making product recommendations and accommodating special requests and sampling as needed.
- Responsible for the financial and overall success of the department.
- Ensuring the retention of team members and minimizing labor costs.
- Demonstrating the necessary leadership skills.
- Ability to listen to others' points of view and recognizing and appreciating differences.
- Properly handle, prepare, transport and store products; ensuring practices are strictly adhered to TFM standards.
- Prioritizing requests and department activities while managing interruptions and attending to details to complete tasks within specified deadlines.
- Utilize training resources and fellow team members to educate self and others about product uses and characteristics.
- Have knowledge of products used throughout the store and works across departments to provide and assist guests in finding complete meal solutions.
- Oral and written communication skills that allow for productive communication with co-workers, management and guests.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have at least 2 years of management experience either in the retail, restaurant, or hospitality field.
- Produce Management experience is preferred.
What you bring to the job:
- Organization and highly detailed oriented
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to follow through on deliverables and meet objectives and deadlines
- A LOVE of food
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Superior guest focus
- Be a team player, goal-oriented
- Excellent time management
- Ability to perform in an intense, fast paced environment
Work Environment/Physical Responsibilities
- Work involves continuous interaction with guests and co-workers in a fast-paced environment.
- Typical motions include repetitive hand and arm movements, repetitive grasping, bending and reaching.
- Responsible for moving or lifting an average of 20-40lbs.
- Exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, freezer, outdoors, etc.).
- The safe and proper handling of slicers, knives, saws, grinders and other kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Will be required to spend the majority of time on his or her feet and stand or walk without a break
At The Fresh Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all team members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The Fresh Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled. The position covered by this is expressly declared to be 'at will,' meaning the Company has the right to terminate the incumbent's employment at any time, with or without cause. Any written or oral promises or representations to the contrary are expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any team member. Any change to this 'at will' employment status must be in writing and signed by the company designated personnel.